Tax and Consumer Attorney – Full Time
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is seeking a full-time staff attorney to work in the areas of federal income tax and consumer protection law for its Minneapolis office.
- Protect clients’ income and assets by working on federal income tax disputes through our Low-Income Tax Clinic (LITC) and representing clients in debt collection and consumer protection cases
- Apply the principles of MMLA’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions
- Provide legal advice, representation, advocacy, outreach, and education
- Handle requests for innocent spouse relief, collection matters, denials of available deductions and credits, and tax problems stemming from tax-related identity theft
- Assess clients and provide legal research, counsel, and litigation, advocacy before the IRS, and systemic advocacy on issues having an impact on low income and ESL taxpayers
- Conduct frequent monitoring of administrative, statutory, and case law tax developments
- Participate in developing new community outreach and education activities with particular emphasis on serving the needs of rural and ESL taxpayers
- Represent clients in a wide range of consumer finance issues, including disputing debt wrongfully reported to credit reports, claiming income protections to prevent garnishment of pay and bank accounts, claiming wrongfully withheld security deposits from former landlords
- Litigate consumer finance issues including fraudulent and abusive auto loans
- Investigate and litigate homeownership-related issues
- Work on outreach, education and policy advocacy focused on prevention of abusive consumer finance practices
- D. degree and currently licensed in Minnesota or eligible for immediate admission by reciprocity (2021 spring graduates will be considered)
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of low-income/vulnerable clients
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office is required
- Excellent attention to detail, interpersonal skills, and oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle a demanding caseload while building collaborative relationships with clients, staff, and the community
- Diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are a plus
- Second language proficiency is a plus
SALARY: $51,000 to $55,312 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume, cover letter, three job-related references, and a writing sample online at www.mylegalaid.org/employment by April 16th, 2021, or until the position is filled.
No calls please.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.