STAFF ATTORNEY AND FELLOW
The position of Staff Attorney and Fellow will focus on monitoring and ensuring the effective implementation of the class settlement agreement reached in Holmes v. Jeffries, which requires the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) to make substantial changes to its treatment of Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals. Among other responsibilities, the attorney will:
- Communicate regularly with Class Members via telephone and written mail to evaluate the Settlement’s implementation and provide legal advice to Class Members
- Manage and analyze a high volume of information related to IDOC’s implementation of the settlement agreement, including data and records
- Communicate regularly on case strategy with co-counsel Winston & Strawn, Uptown People’s Law Center, and the National Association of the Deaf
- Draft court filings, including quarterly responses to IDOC’s reports and, if necessary, motions to enforce the settlement agreement
- Participate in regularly scheduled court hearings
- Travel to facilities to monitor compliance and interview Class Members (approximately 1-2 prison visits per month subject to COVID-19 restrictions)
Although primary focus will be on the Holmes case, the attorney will have opportunities to work on other issues covered by the Civil Rights Team.
This fellowship is funded by Winston & Strawn, our pro bono partner on the Holmes settlement agreement. This fellowship is expected to last until July 2022, with the possibility of being extended. This position reports to EFE’s lead attorney for the Holmes settlement agreement. Training will be provided on disability rights law, the settlement agreement, and our internal case management system. Opportunities will be provided to work with pro bono attorneys and law student interns as well as other professional development opportunities.
REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERRED EXPERIENCE
- A law degree and license
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience with and/or commitment to the civil rights of people with disabilities in the prison systems
- Experience with and/or commitment to working with diverse client populations and incarcerated people
- Travel required within Illinois (approximately 1-2 prison visits per month subject to COVID-19 restrictions)
- Personal or professional experience with people with disabilities
- Spanish language and/or American Sign Language fluency is a plus
- This position can be located in any of Equip for Equality’s offices
Equip for Equality encourages qualified candidates of all backgrounds and identities to apply for this position.
Application Deadline, How to Apply, Compensation and Benefits
Applications will be accepted until June 15, 2021. Please include salary expectations in cover letter. Salary is commensurate with experience and EFE offers excellent benefits.
Send resume and cover letter to:
La June Davis-Willey, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Director, Human Resources
Apply online: Staff Attorneyand Fellow
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Because Equip for Equality is a community-serving organization and safety is of the utmost importance, Equip for Equality requires a background check for employees and others who volunteer or perform services for us depending on the role. The background check is run for employees once a conditional offer of employment has been extended. Background checks are conducted in accordance with all applicable laws, EFE’s policy, and paid for by EFE. A disclosed record may not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment.
Do you need a reasonable accommodation for our application process?
Equip for Equality is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application process, please contact La June Davis-Wiley at [email protected] and let her know the nature of your request and your contact information. Disability related information that is disclosed via the application process will be kept confidential.