Full-time, non-exempt position
LOCATION: This position will be located in our Tampa, Florida office.
The Advocacy, Education and Outreach (AEO) team is accepting applications for a Senior Paralegal. The senior paralegal is responsible for direct assistance to the attorneys/advocates in the delivery of legal and advocacy services provided by Disability Rights Florida. The senior paralegal is responsible for managing case files and assisting attorneys with providing direct client services, as well as the calendaring, scheduling, and coordinating of activities necessary to the provision of quality legal services. The idea candidate will assist in research, the preparation of documents and filing under the supervision of the attorney as well as ensure that documents are served as required by administrative, state, or federal procedure. The paralegal at the senior level is expected to have greater familiarity with complex legal matters and works independently to coordinate investigative and litigation activities for the assigned attorneys.
- Manages legal documents, maintains electronic case records and physical case records, prepares high quality legal pleadings, coordinates discovery, provides prompt and timely responses, drafts correspondence, and assists with client communications.
- Assist with trial preparation, including discovery requests, exhibits, and indexes, scheduling, arrange subpoenas and delivery of service, schedule court reporters for depositions and hearings, arrange and schedule mediations.
- Conduct legal research for the attorneys and advocates.
- Prepares complete accurate and timely administrative reports, manages resources in compliance with federal and organizational cost principles, and provides assistance and oversight of office procedure.
- Demonstrates outstanding time management skills and maintains case calendars, tracks case assignments, keeps contemporaneous and accurate time records and notes on case activity or projects in DRF case management database Legal Server and prepares billing reports.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Keeps accurate and contemporaneous time records and notes on case activity or projects in DRF case management database Legal Server.
- Participates in organizational events and works collaboratively with external entities to enhance the visibility of the organization and further the rights of individuals with disabilities.
- Ensures that the rights of people with disabilities as provided for by law and regulation are enforced through effective paralegal case management of assigned projects and personal effort.
- Responsible for legal document management, correspondence, filing court documents, calendaring, preparing subpoenas, organization of exhibit books and indexes, and scheduling.
- Prepares pleadings for court or other tribunal as needed and appropriate with attorney supervision.
- Carries out other such duties as may from time to time be required.
- Four-year degree in a related field plus a minimum of 5 or more years working in a law office as a paralegal and significant experience working in a legal environment.
- Knowledge of current administrative rules, state and federal law, regulations, court and administrative procedure and the rules of professional conduct.
- Strong organizational and time management skills that will permit the paralegal to manage multiple priorities and meet internal and external deadlines.
- Proficient in developing time reports for billing and fess purposes.
Physical & Other Job-related Requirements:
- In an office environment, incumbent works at a seated station for several hours each day to access the use of computers, phones, and related information technology.
- Some lifting and carrying of files up to 10 pounds required. Must be able to travel to work-related meetings, centers, and offices.
- Some travel required.
- by email: [email protected]
- by mail: Renee Jackson, Disability Rights Florida, 2473 Care Dr. Suite 200, Tallahassee, FL 32308
- or by fax: 850-617-6691
Or visit http://disabilityrightsflorida.org/careers for instructions on how to submit the Disability Rights Florida application, a resume and sample writing sample.
Deadline to apply is September 28, 2021.
Our organization values diversity and inclusion. We encourage individuals with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds to apply.