Paralegal / Litigation Assistant
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) is seeking a self-motivated individual to join our dynamic, results-oriented team. In this role, you have the opportunity to assist in all aspects of work supporting DRA’s high-impact civil rights lawsuits. You will work closely with attorneys and other staff on investigations, client outreach, factual research, finalizing and filing court pleadings, and trial and settlement negotiations, among other things.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position in our Berkeley, CA office. During the COVID-19 pandemic, all DRA employees have been temporarily working remotely. When our offices reopen in 2022 we will provide a remote-friendly workplace with flexibility to partially work from home.
- Conduct factual research using a variety of internet and hard-copy resources, and compile that research into written memos and reports
- File/serve legal documents with court and on opposing parties
- Review transcripts and documentary evidence, and organize, track, and extract information from these materials
- Maintain contact with clients to gather evidence for cases and provide updates on status of cases, conduct intake interviews with potential clients, and direct questions to appropriate attorneys
- Proofread, format, perform legal and factual cite-checks, and create tables of authorities/contents for legal documents
- Create and maintain screen reader-accessible documents in various formats including Word, PDF, and Excel (training will be provided)
- Provide administrative support to attorneys in all aspects of their work including scheduling, reviewing and organizing documents, and fee reporting
- Preference given to applicants with Paralegal Certification or prior experience in any of the following:
- Completing ECF filings
- Assisting attorneys with discovery requests and production
- Westlaw research and cite checking
- Conducting client intakes and drafting declarations
- Excellent project management skills, the ability to track and meet deadlines, take ownership of your work, work independently, ask questions, and to work well under pressure
- Strong writing and communication skills for effective communication with DRA staff, clients, co-counsel, opposing counsel, judges, and court staff
- A team player willing to take on a variety of tasks as needed
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, and Excel
- College degree preferred.
- Desire to work in an organization focused on making society more just, fair, and accessible to all
Compensation starts at $23.00/hour, based on previous experience as a litigation assistant or paralegal. DRA offers comprehensive benefits, including top-tier medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off, and additional health and commuter benefits.
This is an hourly, non-exempt position. If you are not already a Paralegal, after one year as a Litigation Assistant, Paralegal certification may be granted in accordance with California Business and Professions Code § 6450.
How to Apply
- Cover letter including how you learned about this position
- Three professional references (at least one a direct supervisor)
DRA is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and inclusive culture.
DRA encourages applications from all qualified individuals and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
DRA is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in all aspects of the employment process. If a reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact us via email with the subject line “Accommodations Request.”