MDLC LEGAL ADVOCATE – FULL-TIME
The Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC), a unit of Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid), is seeking a full-time Legal Advocate in the Minneapolis, Duluth, Mankato, or Fertile office. The MDLC serves as the protection and advocacy system for people with disabilities in Minnesota, and the Legal Advocate will work with people who have disabilities to ensure access to disability services and rights. Some of the duties of the Legal Advocate are the responsibility for case management and client communications, coordinating with county and community organizations on disability issues for the client and attending hearings if needed. Currently, our staff are working remotely until further notice. In the future, activities may be done in person, with flexibility for work at home on a part-time basis.
As an equal opportunity employer, Legal Aid is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
- Apply the principles of Legal Aid’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions
- Assist clients directly with accessing disability support and services, including handling administrative appeals conducted by the Department of Human Services
- Work with MDLC staff members to develop case representation strategies, discuss trends, and identify problems that impact MDLC’s ongoing work
- Promote self-advocacy, self-determination, integration, and inclusion while advocating for disability rights and justice for our clients
- Visit facilities and programs that serve people with disabilities to ensure appropriate and individualized delivery of and access to services and support for clients
- Case management of client files and communications, maintaining client confidentiality while handling advocacy activities
- Coordination with county and community organizations on disability issues for clients
- Perform educational outreach in diverse communities and provide trainings to people with disabilities, their family members, other advocates, and other stakeholders
- Attendance at staff meetings and state organizational council meetings
- Travel to facilities for monitoring activities throughout Minnesota
- Other duties as assigned
- At least 2-3 years of experience working with individuals with disabilities or experience with disability rights and advocacy
- Access to reliable transportation, as travel may be required
- Knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Medical Assistance, disability rights, programs, services, and issues affecting people with disabilities
- Ability to communicate complex issues and information clearly and effectively
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize case/project management with strict deadlines
- Self-motivated, a team player, and a problem solver
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office required
- Knowledge of legal issues with persons with disabilities, preferred
- Language proficiency, particularly in Spanish, ASL, or Somali, preferred
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences preferred
$44,628 to $53,284 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits. Benefits include family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
Submit resume and cover letter expressing interest in the position online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment by February 10th, 2022, or until position is filled. Please indicate in the cover letter that you are applying for the MDLC Legal Advocate position and which office location you are interested in.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Jolene Chestnut at [email protected].
Please direct all other inquiries to [email protected].
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.