SPAN PARENT ADVOCACY NETWORK SEEKS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The SPAN Parent Advocacy Network (SPAN) is a social justice, non-profit organization located in Newark, NJ, with international, national, state, and local reach. Our vision is that all families will have the resources and support they need to ensure that their children become fully participating and contributing members of our communities and society. Our mission is to empower and support families and inform and involve professionals to enhance
children and youth’s healthy development and education. Our foremost commitment is to children and families with the greatest need due to disability or special health/mental health needs; poverty; discrimination based on race/ethnicity, language, immigrant or homeless status, gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation; involvement in the child welfare or juvenile justice systems; geographic location; or other special circumstances. Our motto/tagline is, “Empowered Parents: Educated, Engaged, Effective!”
SPAN provides assistance, training, support, and leadership development for families, youth, and professionals on child- and family-serving systems and supports family organizations around the US to enhance their capacity to serve children/families, partner, and maintain effective non-profits. SPAN is funded through government grants, foundations, corporations, and private contributions. We are a deliberately inclusive organization, and our state, regional, and national work is conducted through an equity and social justice lens. Learn more at http://www.spanadvocacy.org.
The SPAN Parent Advocacy Network (SPAN) is seeking an Executive Director to function as the organization’s Chief Executive Officer. The Executive Director is responsible for managing all aspects of SPAN’s organization: planning, implementation, and evaluation of projects, programs, policy, fiscal, personnel, and administration. The Executive Director reports directly to SPAN’s Board of Directors and is responsible for implementing policies and the strategic plan set by the Board of Directors. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
• Overall leadership of staff in the development, implementation, and evaluation of short and long-range plans and policies, and other activities.
• Financial management, including developing and implementing the annual budget, overseeing development and fundraising, and ensuring sound financial practices.
• Development, implementation, accomplishment, and evaluation of the annual work plan and strategic plan as approved by the Board of Trustees.
• Liaison and collaboration with key organizations and partners at the national and state levels.
• Providing information, advice, and counsel to the Board President, Executive Committee, and the Board of Directors in creating policies, programs, and strategic direction.
• Support all activities associated with the Board of Directors, including staffing for all Board and Committee meetings, meeting schedules, locations, development of the agenda, and meeting materials.
• Administration of overall operation of the organization, including reviewing and evaluating the results of program activities, ensuring that continuing contractual and funding obligations are being fulfilled, allocating resources for greater program effectiveness and efficiency, and developing organizational and administrative policies and program objectives for Board consideration.
Directly responsible for the supervision of the Chief Operations Officer, Senior Director of National and Regional Projects, Senior Director of State and Local Projects, and Public Policy Director, and indirectly for all staff. Overall responsibility for ensuring appropriate interviewing, hiring and training
employees, planning, assigning, and directing of work, appraising performance, providing incentives and positive discipline to employees, addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
Identify areas requiring planning; develop and recommend goals, objectives, and action plans for the approval of the Board. Monitor and evaluate all services and report progress to the Board of Directors; make recommendations for change as needed. Oversee the development of budgets for submission to the Board; ensure compliance with approved budgets; propose revisions as necessary. Provide the appropriate control and accountability of all funds, physical assets, and other property. Protect SPAN’s legal interests and maintain its operations within the law. Oversee the human resources function to ensure optimum staffing and utilization of competent staff, recommending policy changes to benefits, compensation, employment, training, and other areas as appropriate. Establish and maintain an effective communication system throughout the organization and the larger community to build and maintain a positive image. Represent SPAN in key relationships and partnerships with governmental, non-profit, parent, and other organizations as needed. Oversee SPAN Management Team and Project Leadership Team.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND QUALITIES
The successful candidate will have the following experience/expertise and demonstrate the following qualities:
• Program development and management
• Public Policy
• Understanding laws and regulations
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Exceptional expertise in working collaboratively with multiple partners and stakeholders at all levels, both internally and externally
• Demonstrated commitment to equity and social justice across all “isms.”
• Demonstrated commitment to “servant leadership.”
• Outstanding organization skills
• Visionary leadership
• Capacity to see the “forest and the trees.”
• Outstanding storyteller
• Exceptional advocacy skills
• Commitment to ongoing learning
• Strategic thinking and planning
• Values- and mission-driven
• Strong analytical skills
• Capacity-builder for individuals and organizations
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letter to [email protected] no later than Monday, February 28, 2022. This position is anticipated to start between July 1, 2022, and September 6, 2022. SPAN is an equal employment opportunity employer.