Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid
Minnesota Disability Law Center
MDLC Disability Advocate/Investigator – Part-time, Temporary Position
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid’s Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC) seeks a part-time advocate to work 15-20 hours/week in the Minneapolis office until September 2021. This position may transition to a full-time, permanent position depending on available funds and office needs. At this time, all or most activities will be done remotely. In the future, activities may be done in person and travel throughout Minnesota will be required.
Duties and responsibilities:
(*These activities will be performed through virtual means and, when possible, in person)
- Perform outreach activities such as finding and contacting organizations in diverse communities, sending them appropriate resources, and seeing how our office can build or further develop ongoing relationships*
- Provide training to individuals with disabilities, and to their family members*
- Conduct visits to entities and facilities that serve individuals with disabilities to ensure sufficient delivery of services*
- With a protocol and other materials, monitor and evaluate the conditions and services of facilities and entities that serve people with disabilities*
- Collaborate with other staff members to discuss trends and problems occurring in similar facilities*
- Develop and present training sessions on disability rights issues*
- As appropriate, provide direct assistance to individual clients to access disability supports and services such as county services and special education services
- Additional duties as assigned*
- Apply the principles of Legal Aid’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all work-related business and interactions
- Education or experience in outreach, training, and/or presentations
- Education, capacity, or direct experience with or general knowledge of services and issues affecting individuals with disabilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are a plus
- Proficiency using Microsoft Windows and Office is required
- Access to reliable transportation as statewide travel is required
- Familiarity with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and/or the Minnesota Human Rights Act
Compensation: Based on education and experience.
Applications must include a resume and a cover letter explaining interest in the position and should be submitted online to www.mylegalaid.org/employment by 5:00 p.m. on January 18, 2021. Please indicate that you are applying for the MDLC Temporary Disability Advocate/Investigator position in your cover letter.
Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls please.
Starting date: as soon as possible after position is filled.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer