Disability Rights Maryland has an immediate opening for full-time experienced Development Manager to support the organization’s growing development department and supervise the organization’s digital communications. The Development Manager reports to the Executive Director and is a part of DRM’s dynamic advocacy team which promotes and enforces the civil rights of people with disabilities. The Development Manager’s primary responsibilities include annual fund management, appeal writing, monthly sustainer development, gift processing and acknowledgement, database management, supervision of all communications (email and social media), assisting with grant proposals and planning special events.
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM) a private, non-profit law firm, is a leader in disability rights and the Congressionally mandated Protection and Advocacy organization for individuals with disabilities in Maryland. We provide free legal services and advocacy to persons with disabilities in Maryland. DRM envisions a world where people with disabilities are fully included in the workplace, neighborhoods and all aspects of community life. We seek to achieve lasting change for people with disabilities by using a full range of advocacy tools to champion the rights of people with disabilities to self-determination, dignity, equality, opportunity, and freedom from discrimination and harm.
Job Responsibilities Include:
• Lead implementation of DRM’s development goals, strategies, timetables and budgets for all giving and acquisition fundraising.
• Work with the executive director and Board Fundraising Committee to identify and attract new donors, retain and upgrade current donors and increase net annual fundraising revenues.
• Work with DRM’s growing development team to seek creative connections between our programs, staff and events to engage prospects and donors.
• Plan and implement donor engagement activities, including special events and presentations to expand awareness of the organization’s mission.
• Ensure all development and communications policies and procedures comply with ethical standards and state fundraising requirements.
• Oversee the daily operation of development database, including recording gift transactions; data cleansing, querying/reporting, list management and analysis; output includes generating gift receipts, campaign and financial reporting.
• Ensure the accuracy and integrity of gift and constituent data and reporting.
• Proactively mine donor data and keep current with emerging trends.
Gift and Donor Data Management
• Record revenue received from various sources including online and offline credit card transactions, gifts of stock, wire transfers and checks received in-house, generate and distribute timely and accurate gift summary reports and gift acknowledgments.
• Conduct biographical, financial and philanthropic research on individuals and/or institutional prospects and donors.
• Lead development initiatives and activities: including annual gala and special events, foundation, major gifts, firm/corporate, direct marketing and other duties as assigned.
• Create and oversee fundraising content for DRM’s website, social media and e-communications including e-newsletters and e-appeals.
• Supervise Communications Associate with donor related social media posts, e-newsletters, annual report, event invitations, programs and all related promotional material.
• Create donor focused e-newsletters through Constant Contact in collaboration with the executive director and development team.
• A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• 2 to 5 years of successful work in fundraising for nonprofit organizations or equivalent experience.
• Preference given to applicants with Development experience, such as knowledge of fundraising principles and basic gift accounting practices and proficiency with Sales Force or comparable relational donor database with an aptitude for using information systems in support of development operations.
• Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Power-Point, Access and especially Excel) to produce reports and correspondence for stakeholders and social media experience and proficiency. • Strong organizational and project management skills; ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines, flexibility and ability to adapt to changing needs. • Strong interpersonal skills including ability to communicate timely and effectively, capacity to collaborate and work well with diverse internal and external teams.
• Self-starter who is able to work independently and has the ability to multitask while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
• Ability to demonstrate sound independent judgment, maintain confidentiality in a law firm environment and discretion with sensitive, confidential and proprietary information; • A passion for social justice and commitment to improving the lives of low-income people with disabilities through legal advocacy; motivation and capacity to quickly learn issues pertinent to disability rights.
• Must be able to work occasional special events as needed, and additional hours during peak times as required.
• Access to transportation required for local travel.
Salary and Benefits
Salary and benefits are competitive for a nonprofit legal organization. Salary is commensurate with education and experience, Annual Salary Range: $50,000 to 60,000. Staff Benefits include Employer Sponsored (Medical, Dental and Group Life & AD&D); 403(b) Retirement Plan; Voluntary Flexible Spending (Medical and/or Dependent Care) and paid Holidays and Vacation/Sick days.
E-Mail cover letter with resume and writing sample to: [email protected] with “Development/Communications Manager” in the subject line to.
Priority will be given to applications received by January 7, 2022. The position remains open until filled.
Individuals with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals and others who contribute to staff diversity are especially encouraged to apply. DRM is an Equal Opportunity employer.