Disability Rights NJ
Position: Children’s Team Managing Attorney
Job Type: Full Time
Disability Rights New Jersey is the designated protection and advocacy agency for people with disabilities in the diverse state of New Jersey, providing individual and systemic advocacy and legal representation, training and technical assistance and outreach in order to protect legal, civil, and human rights.
Disability Rights NJ is seeking a managing attorney to lead our new Children’s Team. This position offers a unique opportunity to combine direct representation with policy advocacy on legal issues that affect children. Our new Children’s Team will provide legal representation and policy advocacy on legal issues including juvenile justice, the Children’s System of Care and Medicaid, special education, and vocational rehab transition services for youth as they move into adulthood. Currently, Disability Rights NJ represents children across several of our legal teams, including our Community Inclusion, Institutional Rights, and Special Education teams. The consolidation of this work in a Children’s Team will allow us to provide focused, holistic representation and policy advocacy to children. The managing attorney will have an opportunity to shape this team and our work.
The managing attorney will lead a team of several staff attorneys and advocates. The position requires excellent legal representation skill, as well as experience in policy advocacy, outreach, education, and training. As the protection and advocacy agency, Disability Rights NJ engages in investigations of abuse and neglect, as well as monitors providers of services, and it is anticipated that the managing attorney will also work with our Investigation and Monitoring Unit.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Relevant legal experience is required, in at least one of the areas of practice: special education, juvenile justice, the Children’s System of Care and Medicaid, and the delivery of vocational rehabilitation services through DVRS to youth transitioning into adulthood.
- Expertise (or a willingness to develop expertise) in disability law and children’s legal issues.
- Litigation and/or policy advocacy experience preferred, but other related relevant experience will be considered.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in public interest/civil rights practice as well as two years of supervisory experience.
- D. and license to practice law in New Jersey or an ability to gain admission.
- Experience working with a diverse population and/or Spanish language fluency is a plus.
Disability Rights NJ seeks candidates committed to diversity and to the rights of individuals with disabilities to full inclusion in society.
Disability Rights NJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Interested applicants should email a resume, letter of interest and writing sample to: Interview Committee, Disability Rights New Jersey at [email protected]