Attorney – Benefits & Employment
Disability Rights Montana (DRM) is seeking to hire an attorney with administrative law and litigation experience to work in our Benefits and Employment Work Unit. Disability Rights Montana’s mission is to protect and advocate for the human, legal, and civil rights of Montanans with disabilities while advancing dignity, equality, and self-determination. The Benefits and Employment Unit focuses on protecting the rights of people with disabilities who are in the process of regaining, maintaining, and seeking employment. Our clients are generally people with disabilities who are social security beneficiaries, applicants, or clients of vocational rehabilitation and, in some cases, persons seeking Medicaid benefits.
We envision a society where people with disabilities have equality of opportunity and are able to participate fully in community life by exercising choice and self-determination.
People with disabilities are full and equal persons under the law and are entitled to equal access to opportunities afforded to all members of American society.
People with disabilities are entitled to be free from abuse, neglect, exploitation, discrimination, and isolation, and to be treated with respect and dignity.
People with disabilities have access to age-appropriate services and supports that are shaped by the unique needs and preferences of each individual. Such services and supports are designed to foster independent, productive, and integrated community life.
People with disabilities have the right to make choices about all aspects of their life including daily routines and major life events.
Duties will include supervising advocacy specialists, case selection and development, representation in administrative and court hearings, and identifying systemic reforms. The Benefits and Employment attorney will work with DRM’s Attorney Work Unit that manages litigation and systemic reform effort of Disability Rights Montana and is expected to collaborate with other DRM attorneys and outside counsel on litigation efforts.
Experience is preferred in the following areas:
- Administrative Law
- Civil Rights and/or Disability Rights Law
- Work with DPHHS and/or other administrative agencies
Applicant must have the following:
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in the state of Montana or eligible for admission to the State Bar of Montana within one year of date of hire
- Minimum of five years’ experience in administrative or other civil litigation
- Some supervisory or leadership experience
Skills, attributes, and preferred qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Ability to self-manage complex projects.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Experience as an advocate in the broadest sense of the term for individuals with disabilities.
- Continue to recognize and advance the need to incorporate justice, equity, diversity and inclusion into the culture of the organization and its approach to work.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively with a variety of organizations and individuals with diverse perspectives.
- Lived experience with individuals with disabilities.
Position is located in Helena, Montana. Travel will be required. Starting salary $67,000 – $85,000 DOE. A generous benefit package includes paid time off, 403(b) retirement plan, health, life, dental, vision, and long-term care insurance.
Please submit a letter of interest, a resume, and writing sample to:
Director of Finance & Administration
1022 Chestnut Street
Helena, MT 59601
or by email to: